Breaking Out The Big Guns



This is the year of stepping up my game, or, as Mike Bucca calls it, "taking off the training wheels." The 6" Bull Shad has been my bread and butter for the last two years on striper, spots, shoal bass, small mouth, and large heads. Dobyns' 795 SBMT has been my preferred Bull Shad launcher as the 2.5 ounce bait hits that sweet spot making long casts a simple flick of the wrists. I'm handcuffed with baits larger than this as launching the 9" Bull is similar to throwing a bowling ball on a string. A new Mag Heavy, 7 power stick opens up a new world of big baits, so it comes down to the 807 vs the 867. I leaned toward the 867, but the extra handle length was a deal breaker. 807 Mag Heavy and bigger baits here I come! I must admit, I had fallen rather complacent with the 6" Bull. I was catching 5-15# striped bass and 3-4# spots with such regularity that I didn't push my limits. The biggest fish of my life may come on a 5" or 6" Bull, but throwing the 9" gives me such an advantage for catching the trophy class striped bass, spots and large mouth. It's time to push my boundaries past my comfort zone and break some new ground. Hopefully, my personal records for spot, striper and large mouth  will fall this year on the 9" Bull Shad and Dobyns 807 Mag HSB.

Comments