Spring Break Tour: A Weiss Lake Morning


Weather: 80 and clearing overcast skies
Water: 74 and slightly stained
Lures and Techniques: KVD 1.5 in Green Shad and Texas Rigged Zoom Trick Worm in Watermelon

Finally, back home.  Finally, back to Weiss Lake, Alabama.  The Crappie Capital of the World, Weiss Lake is also a top bass fishery with a mixture of aggressive, Alabama Spots and fat Large Mouth.  The stretch of water I fish has an even mixture of rip rap, docks, and pockets.  Large Mouth stick to the pockets and docks while the Spots cling to the rip rap and deep docks.  Right away, I lose two monster Spots on topwater; blowing the lure up, but failing to connect.  Heading into a pocket I locate some spawning bass along a sea wall.  I skip the worm all the way to the back of the sea wall.  Pull, twitch, twitch and it is annihilated by an angry female.  She comes out of the water four times and runs under the boat twice, pulling me into a nearby dock.   She is huge, a five pound no doubter.  I am excited and shaking.  Trying to do too much I follow her around with the rod trying to wear her down, but one slip of concentration allows slack in the line and she is gone.  Devastated, I slam my fist into the gunwale.  Three big fish on.  Three big fish lost.  This is when my confidence begins to wane, but I have to shake it off.  This is a tournament practice, I have to get five fish.  Wipe the slate clean and move on.  I put two rods on the deck: cranking stick with a KVD 1.5 and my Mojo Bass with a trick worm.  Ground and pound, I hit everything in sight and quickly tag two Large Mouth off a rip rap point.  I have only a little time left, but I have my swagger back.  I pick out one last pocket and pound everything in sight with the worm.  Three more keepers in fifteen minutes work.  52 inches in two hours work.  I will take that in any tournament.

Comments