Hybrids at Lake Varner

Weather: 50s and sunny
Water: Stained and 50
Lures and Techniques: Suspending jerk bait in chartreuse shad worked slowly
I was able to sneak out to Lake Varner for a short trip on Saturday.  The weather was beautiful, partly cloudy in the mid 50s with no wind.   I launched with high hopes of tangling with one of Varner's legendary big bass; it is one of the top trophy lakes in Georgia.  Unfortunately, it was not to be.  I was sidetracked by some pods of ravenous hybrids chasing shad along a shallow bank.  Two keeper hybrids, 19 and 22 inches, fell victim to a H2O  Express suspending jerk bait.  Not the big largemouth I was hoping for, but pleasing none the less for a short trip on a new body of water.  Each trip to Varner brings me one step closer to that double digit bass.

Comments

  1. Nicely done Evan - I hope to start chasing those hawgs in the very near future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. was wondering if i could use a floatable boat as a fishing boat on Lake Varner...just curious

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you are talking about an inflatable boat, I would not. Varner is in flat, open country and the wind can get very, very strong. It might not be safe if the wind is up.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment