First Swimbait Fish



I have reinvented myself, resurrected from the ashes of small lures and finesse offerings.  Don't misunderstand me.  I know, I know, I know that the Texas-rigged rubber worm has caught more bass and big bass that any other lure in history.  I know that the pig and jig is consistently the best big bass producing lure, period.  Ask guys like Denny or Greg on the Bassmaster Tour.  All that taken in stride, I heard a wise man on a forum say "Swimbait fishermen catch giant bass on purpose, small bait fishermen catch giant bass on accident."  Or something to that accord.  I have always had a thing for California style swimbaits, West Coast swimbaits or whatever you want to term them.  "Big bait" is the term I think fits best.  I am dedicating myself to fishing with big baits from now on.   Don't get me wrong, you will still find a spinnerbait, a jig, a rattle trap, and maybe a worm in my box, but big swimbaits are what really get me excited.  The proof is in the "puddin" as my daddy says.  I have been buying swimbaits this winter in preparation for 2012 bassin.  My goal, which I have had for a while now, is to catch a double digit, a DD as they say, a 10 pound or greater large mouth bass from my kayak.  To my logic, fishing with larger baits will help me in this quest.  Now, I know that swimbaits are not by any means a magic bullet, easy button solution for catching a DD, but I firmly believe that a larger offering will attract a larger bass.  To point, my second largest bass of 2011 weighed just under 7 pounds and came on my first swimbait, a 6" Spro BBZ Jr.  This fish came on a dreary day with no anglers reporting any other fish.  I had four other bass boats cruise by my anchored kayak and throw worms, jigs, and crankbaits along the treeline that I was working.  They caught nothing and I caught two 4 pounders and one under 7.  The proof is in the "puddin."




Comments