2011: Alabama Rig Fun!

I owe my adoption of the Alabama Rig to Matt Peters of Southern Swimbait.  His videos inspired me to make my own "home brew" version of the A-rig.  The castable umpbrella rig, also known as the A-rig or Alabama Rig, is one of, heck, it is the hottest technique on the market today.  After Paul Elias won that tourney it shot off the charts; like every other tourney winning bait.  Well, I didn't give it much thought, you know, chatterbait, laser lure, the whole "its so effective they are about to ban it..." type hoopla that leaves you with a tackle box full of junk you bought because some pro won with it.  Well, Matt convinced me so off I went to Home Depot and bought some JB Weld and survey flags.  My first rig was an ugly four arm deal held together with a wad of JB and featured no swivels or snaps.  I just tied the jigs on with some mono.  Well, an hour into my first trip I am bumping it along the bottom of a 30ft bluff under wads of threadfin shad and "Wham-O!" its game on!  I swear I thought I had a 30ish pound catfish because of the power and rolling this thing was doing.  I almost came apart at the seams when two absolute TOAD large mouth surfaced hanging on that rig.  Thank God for my net!  I barely got both in before I melted into the bottom of my yak.  Then, I let out several war woops and what may have been a squeal...I can't be certain.  One bass weighed 5 pounds 13 ounces and his pal went 7 pounds 8 ounces.  Yes, that is 13 pounds of bass in one cast...uno, my friend.   I buy into it fully, it has some serious drawing power. That false bait ball really makes cold bass fire up.  The water was 48 degrees and I think that the deception of a small, lost breakaway school of baitfish drew those two bass off their tree, stump or rockpile.  I have had alot of doubles and numerous, numerous fish over 4 pounds on the A-rig.  I am very excited about this technique because I only have about 4 good trips on it in December and January.  I am so sold on this presentation that I just cut down a big catfish rod to dedicate as an "A-rig" rod.  I cant wait to see how Pre-Spawn large mouth  respond, thats not even speculating on how my Hooch Striped Bass respond.  I think I will have to retool the rig for striped bass, both in strength and in weight to keep it off the Chattahoochee River bottom.

Excuse me waiter, I think I'll have what that gentleman is having....

4.6 double


"The Double" a 5.13 and 7.8

5.13

5.13



7.8

7.8



A 3 pounder choking a 7" shad

Last Supper

"The Double" on my first Alabama Rig

Comments